Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Tide Rolls On. Pt.2

Matt S. here joining the blog for the first time and I'm honored that Ali asked me to be apart of it. I can't promise good writing or good humor, but I can promise to give my thoughts and opinions from the perspective of a life long nittany lion fan that will add a different perspective to the blog.

God's sport....I love that phrase when talking about college football. It is a phrase I constantly hear Bill King of rivals radio use. I Found myself thinking that phrase last Saturday because of all the marquee matchups that were taking place. I found myself at a place that would totally rock college football that day. I was in the pouring rain in Blacksburg, VA. I was about to witness James Madison (I-AA)(FCS) take down the #13 team in the nation Virginia Tech. That game showed that less talent could win with the right game plan and attitude. As the game ended, I remembered thinking that if JMU could knock off Virginia Tech then Penn State winning was not as far fetched an idea as everyone thought.

Unfortunately for Penn State that was not the case. The talent level on the field was closer then Alabama fans would admit. The game plan and execution exposed glaring weaknesses in the coaching staff. As the game ended, I felt that same feeling of disappointment that all nittany lion fans have felt over the last couple years in big games. I can't help feeling that in every big game PSU seems to be out coached. The games Penn State win are the ones we have far superior athletes on the field. The coaching staff creates game plans that are so conservative that it doesn't give our athletes a chance to make plays. Mike Tyson once said he could tell he was going to win before the fight even started by the look of fear in his opponents eyes. I could not help but feel that Alabama could see the fear in PSU coaching staff's eyes.

With that said here are some observations from the game

-I understand Trent Richardson bench presses 465 lbs..but it still should not take 5 guys to tackle 1 player. What happend to tackling technique that PSU is so known for?

-Evan Royster looked like the 4th best running back on the field saturday behind Trent R. , Green, and Silas Redd.... Evan needs to get his act together or take a seat on the bench.

-The Offensive line should be better then it is.

-Bolden looks great and will be fine.

-Special teams is 100% improved from last year.

-When is Penn State going to put an actual athlete at safety? Astorino was scared to hit anyone and Sukay was out of position atleast 4 times.

-Zug had another big drop... I think its time for Justin Brown to start!!

-Where is the dominant defensive line that we are suppose to have.... the DE's have generated zero pressure in the first two games.

-Gerald Hodges injury really hurt the defense because of his skill at defending on plass plays.


Just some observations.....hopefully PSU gets it together for Big 10 play

WE ARE......................

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, even though Royster looked awful, Redd seems like firecracker just waiting to explode

    ReplyDelete